Friday, November 21, 2008

"Candy"

First of all, let me just say: When you get free stuff, take advantage! I got a small box full of apples from my neighbor, who got them from our other neighbor's trees. Free. Today, I made almost three quarts of applesauce. It would have been probably four quarts, except I waited a tad too long and had to throw away five or six of the apples. To buy that much applesauce at the store would be at least $10. More if I bought organic and unsweetened, which is what I get as a result of canning my own. As I was preparing to make the applesauce, I had to peel and core the apples first. I have a peeler that I can mount on the counter that peels, cores and slices at the same time. It peels the entire apple in one long strip. Sarah was fascinated with the whole process and was helping me on and off throughout it. When I was just about done with the peeling, she asked me if she could have some candy. I said, "what candy?" because there wasn't any candy out anywhere. Pointing to one of the strips of apple peel, she said, "This candy. Right here." She was obviously pretending that the peel was candy. She knew exactly what it was because she watched and even helped me get it off the apples. I said, "Really? Um... sure, I guess you can have some 'candy,' but I don't know if you'll like it." But she did. She ate two entire apples worth of peels! I guess that's good, right? Isn't the peel where most of the nutrients are in an an apple anyway? Go Sarah! She's picky and weird in what she likes to eat, but pleasantly surprises me sometimes.

7 comments:

Ash Trump said...

That is so cute and great that she will eat the peels!!! Most kids want the peel cute off and thrown away. Way to go on making homemade applesauce you are one supermom, I hope I can be a good as you!!!!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

It does kinda look like a fruit roll up in a way. Hey if she likes it then it's the best candy there is!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Great idea for "candy". I'll try it and see if my kids will think the same way! ha ha! Sarah too cute!

Ms. Celeste said...

Hi Ashleigh,
I like your blog it is so beautiful and always has great stories. Sorry that we haven't kept in touch! Could you please email me your address so I can send you a Christmas Card? Thanks! cessthatcher@gmail.com

Danielle and Calan said...

K thanks. And i never got to say goodbye to you guys :( ..So hugs and kisses to you all :) It was so good to see all of you! I couldn't help but noticed what good parents you and Jeff are!.. your kids are very blessed to have such a good mama and papa :)

Brooke and Brian said...

Hey thanks! I think she is cute too...way cuter than me! =) I think her eyes are starting to change...I have a feeling they will be hazel, I am not sure. Brian and I both have hazel eyes, and his sisters all have hazel and green eyes, except Beth which has BIG blue eyes, but our family have blue eyes so I dont know. Me and mom are the only ones with hazel eyes. Who knows...anyway...update your blog already! =) Put the pics up from your trip! It was so fun seeing you kids.

Danielle and Calan said...

Thanks so much! It's all fixed. I will tell you tho if i had to guess i woulda said Alex but now that gives me no credibility cuz i know, but yeah jus so you know :) Ha.