Thursday, April 24, 2008

What do you think?

I found myself noticing my thoughts yesterday while I was at the grocery store. I know I do this all the time, but I never actually thought about it until now. My silent thoughts sound a lot like what I write or actually say. They are sentences or full thoughts, not just random tidbits. I constantly think of the movie "What Women Want" with Mel Gibson because I wonder what it would be like to walk around hearing what other people will think but not say. Here's a few examples of my silent thoughts last night:

First, I went to Walmart to exchange something, and buy a few things while I was there. I walked by the strawberries and noticed that they were only $0.98/lb, so I bought some. Later, I stopped by Smith's to get some other things. I walked by the strawberries there as a woman was picking some out for herself. I thought to myself, "You're paying too much for that." But of course I didn't say anything. Just reveled in the good deal I had gotten a little earlier.

While at Walmart, I went to get some rice cereal for Audrey. I noticed that the price was $2.98/box. My thoughts went something like this, "$2.98!! What happened to $1.86??? It's RICE, for crying out loud! You've got to be kidding me!" (the exact same box of rice cereal was only $1.86 a month ago)

While at Smith's, I was walking by an aisle and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a middle aged man looking at me. I didn't look back, but as I turned down the ice cream aisle, I noticed him poke his head out of the end of his aisle to watch me walking down the other one. A few seconds later, there he was, in the same aisle as me. I saw him in the reflection of the glass looking in my cart. I thought to myself, "What are you doing? Looking to see what I buy so you can tell if I have kids or something? Where's your family?" Of course, who really knows what he was doing. That's just what I thought to myself. He was obviously "checking me out" though. My next thought was this: "That's the last time I forget to wear my wedding ring to the grocery store."

At this Smith's, they often stock the middle of the doorway (between entrance and exit doors) with things that are considered specials. This time it was cereal. It really isn't the best place to put things for shopping. It clogs the doorways. Yet, they do it. I was waiting for an elderly lady on a riding cart to come in the doorway before I could go out and look at the cereal. She saw me standing there, and smiled as she was moving. I smiled back. Then, as she got right to the door, she stopped and spent 15 seconds reading a flyer that had been taped to the window. My thoughts at that point went something like this, "Hello? Yes... I AM waiting for you."

So, sometimes what I think probably isn't the nicest. Sometimes it's good. Like when I see a woman with a nice haircut, I'll often think to myself, "That's a really nice haircut. I wonder where she got it done..." I even noticed my realtor's new haircolor last time she was over here and thought, "Hey, that looks really nice." But with all the other stuff going on, I never got a chance to tell her.

Am I just weird? Or do any of you have silent thoughts like mine about things you see? My most common silent thought has to be "You've got to be kidding me." What is yours?

4 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

My thoughts are always why.. A big one is, "Why are they doing that?!" Oh and your situation with that guy checking you out, if that ever happens to me I always shoot an angry glare. Because it really bothers me. They leave me alone because they think I am scary or crazy, Well I don't know if that is what they think but it works. That's just what I do.

Farrah said...

I am always thinking things to myself too! I've hd a very similar experience with a guy picking up on me at the grocery store and I did have my wedding ring on and had Lexi with me! Seriously...what is wrong with some people these days?

Ash Trump said...

Hahaha You are so funny, but I think their are a lot of people out there like you... I am one of them!!! I often think things in my head but never get the chance or don't care to say them out loud ;o) I enjoyed reading about what you think!

Anonymous said...

I think in paragraphs or stories. I love to people watch and 'decide who they are and what they are up to. What I think most is 'What are they thinking'!!