Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Idol Gives Back


We were watching American Idol's "Idol Gives back" tonight. Jeff kept half-heartedly telling me to go to the website to donate throughout it. Earlier today, we helped Sarah count out a dollar from her piggy bank for a movie we had bought for her. She was still holding her little bank while we were watching Idol. After a while, she started insisting we take one of her dollars to give to the the African Aids Relief. She said, "Mama, can we give one of my dollars to the poor people who don't have anything? They don't have any ponies, or bicycles, or anything." When we told her that if she gave away another dollar, it was going to take longer for her to get a pony, she actually said that she will just wait and get a pony later. She was so adamant about it. So we did. We counted out another dollar, added it to a few of our own, and made a donation to the Idol Gives Back Foundation. I was so proud. It brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. I love my little big girl.

7 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

That is so sweet. How mature of her to think that way.
At that age I was like "uh uh that's my money" But she wanted to give it to the people who really need it.

Ash Trump said...

That is SoOoOo CUTE!!!!! You have to love the pureness and love that a child can possess and I think you guys are doing something right if that little girl is already willing to give up some of her own money for other children. Way to go Sarah!!!!

Farrah said...

That is so sweet. We watched it last night too. It just makes you so grateful for what you have. Sarah is so sweet for wanting to give some of her money. What an impotant lesson we can learn from her!

Ashley said...

What a sweetheart! I love her too! Jake and I also donated. I did last year too, I can't help it. When I see those african children my heart melts. My dream is to someday start a charity organization for orphanages over there!! Anyway, obviously Sarah has great parents because she knows how to serve and the joy in it. I think that's one of the most important things we should teach our children.

Nanci said...

What a good little girl.

Brooke and Brian said...

CUTE! I love that little girl. You can't get any better than that, what a great example.

Becky said...

That is a heart-warming story...thanks for sharing it :)