Friday, July 31, 2009

Secret Project! - Afters

Yep. I'm finally posting them! I'm taking a serious risk here that Jeff will NOT check the blog between now and when he boards his plane to come home in a few hours. Let me just preface this post by saying that this has been the least fulfilling "secret" project I've ever done! I was hoping to do it while Jeff was gone out of town this week, and he would come home not knowing anything about it. But he looked at the blog while he was gone (which was a possibility I was fully aware of when I posted. I just really didn't think he would!), then he called on Wednesday night and talked to the kids. He thinks I painted the girls' rooms since I've been painting stuff lately. So he asked Sarah what color her room was, and she started telling him all about what I've been doing! I stopped her before she said too much, but I don't know how much he heard, or understood. So I don't know how surprised he'll be when he gets home, but at least he has no idea what the colors are...

I did not paint the girls' room, by the way. I did, however move Audrey in with Sarah, and painted Audrey's old room. It's no longer a bedroom. It's a much more useful and much cooler room now.

Here's a hint.



I finally found a good place to put these framed prints! I really love where they are now. And I love this room!

Now this picture's not that great, but you get the idea.

Here's my new comfy bench. I made the big long cushion, and all the pillows.

Here's one more before picture I forgot to post.

And the after: The last thing left for this part is some magazine holders for all the Scientific American magazines, Ensigns and Friends. I wasn't willing to spend $10 per holder at Walmart, so I'm waiting until I find something more perfect and less expensive. I wouldn't mind putting a small shelf in there on the left and putting the board games on it. But I have to find one that fits first.

And here is Sarah's room (now Sarah's and Audrey's room) after. I didn't really do anything to it other than get rid of the bookshelf, and move Audrey's stuff in. I'll make it all pretty and cool later. The main change with this project was the new library. The girls really like sharing a room so far. We'll see how long it lasts before Audrey starts getting on Sarah's nerves. So far so good!



The kids love the new library. They go in, grab a book, sit at a table and read! I'd say it was a good idea. Wanna know the best part about this project? It was free! Well, almost anyway. Almost every single thing I used to change up this room came from our house. It's all stuff I already had, including the paint! And the paint only cost me $5 when I bought it ("oops" paint from Lowe's). I already had all the fabric and embellishments for the pillows. I had the boxes for the closet. They were plastic milk crates that I covered with fabric to match the bench cushion. I had the kiddie tables and chairs already. I just moved them from the basement, where they've been enduring constant abuse and misuse since we moved in. The bookshelf was in the garage with some empty boxes on it. We got it for free from one of our neighbor's family members. The paintings were hanging in the hallway, and I never liked that placement for them to begin with. Now I love where they are. The framed Proclamation to the Family was hanging in our family room downstairs, but didn't match with the other colors. Now it goes perfectly. The only thing I bought new, specifically for this project, was the plaque that says "Library, Shhh..." And that, I bought at Walmart for slightly less than $4. Then I stained it the same color I stained the tables, painted the lettering, and attached the ribbon. I even already had the hook that I put on the door. Now, the only thing left is the magazine holders. What do you think?

8 comments:

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Looks great Ashley! I think he will love it! I am impressed with the design and the clever details, like the sign on the door, and how you didn't spend hardly any money, but I'm amazed that you can attempt projects like this without a husband in town and with all of your little ones! What is your secret? I have so many projects I'm trying to do right now and am wondering when I will ever get them done!

Brooke and Brian said...

How the heck did you do that with four kids? FABULOUS! Looks fab

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

What's my secret? I stay up way too late and run on fumes the next day. Seriously, that's the only way. And it's easier to do that when Jeff's out of town because what else am I going to do when the kids are sleeping? No hubby to keep me entertained. :(

Brooke and Brian said...

Haha. By the way, you should post total cost of the whole project unless you did and I missed it. But truly looks fabulous!

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

I kind of did. Unless you want to know how much I spent on the stuff I already had... That I don't know. Total new spending was about $5. For the plaque I hung on the door. Everything else I already had. I spent $5 on the paint months ago when I saw it, and the fabric was mostly $1/yard stuff I bought at walmart thinking I'd eventually have a use for it, or thinking I'd use it for something then ended up not. I also cut up an old shower curtain that doesn't match any of our bathrooms here. Cool, huh? The cost was my favorite part. And will be Jeff's too once he comes home and sees it.

David Tracy said...

Hey, why don't you go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some particle board cut to fit the spaces in the closet, then paint them white, so you can have additional space for books in there? You could use them for the magazines too. Or were you going to put magazine holders on both sides of the middle column dealio?

Ash Trump said...

Haha No celeste and peter are in texas for Celeste's Montessori training, they get back the middle of this month ;o) and No dave had to work ;o(

BTW I love the new project you did, what a great library for the kids... You are soooo creative!!!!

Laura said...

That's an awesome library! I love it. The cost is awesome, but it would be cute even without how cheap it was. You're really good at decorating and making things cute. Your birthday cakes are another proof of this!