Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Spit!

After much anticipation, and an incredibly long wait, Alex and Lucas are finally starting to communicate more. The frustration of misunderstood grunts, groans, screams and cries is finally coming to an end. With better verbal skills comes better understanding from Mama. A few of their favorite words right now are airplane, soap, hands, milk, juice, cheese (when asked to smile for the camera), cookie, Pop Tart, mine, no, poopy, Sarah, Audrey, Cosmoe, Mama and Papa. Being boys naturally brings a sense of pride and joy in the classic boy behaviors, such as passing gas, burping, spitting, growling and other animal noises, the "vroom vroom" of airplane or car imitations, and a general loudness that seems to radiate from most two year old little boys. These precious boy noises, although sometimes loud and irritating, often provide immediate knowledge of things unseen by me. For example: This evening, I reluctantly gave Alex and Lucas each a sippy cup of milk to drink. I have been avoiding doing that lately because they tend to play with the milk rather than drink it. They can often be found drooling it down the front of their shirts, spitting it at each other or on furniture or carpets, banging them on the ground to see how much can be forced out of the "no-spill" lids, all while laughing hysterically at each other. Laughing in itself is usually nothing to worry about. But before they boys started saying words, the cause was always a mystery until I actually walked over to look at what they were doing. Tonight, I heard the laughter start, and shortly thereafter I could hear "Spit! Spit!" I knew exactly what was happening without having to see it with my own eyes. To make a long story short, the boys were sent to bed a few minutes early tonight, and the mess was only a small one because I caught them early thanks to their inadvertent verbal warning. They sure are adorable. Even when they're causing mischief.

Here they are getting ready for bed after getting in trouble for spitting milk.

3 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

That's exciting that their verbal skills are expanding. Milk is next in line after red juice. For one, it is expensive, and two, if they do it on the carpet without you knowing it will start to smell bad.

Holls said...

Wow, your kids sure have changed a lot since you've moved. YOur family picture is beautiful! I think we should get together for a play date next week. Sorry I haven't been in touch, I've been working quite a bit more and with moving, well you know how that part goes. But I think the chaos is down now, so we'll give you a call.

The Wagners said...

Oh the joys of what I have to look forward to! But I really am so excited for it!