Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Perspective.


Usually, before I let Alex and Lucas come out of their room in the morning, I will go in the kitchen and get their breakfast ready and on the table so they can go right in, sit down and eat. It's easier than trying to keep two hungry toddlers out of harm's way in the kitchen while trying to prepare breakfast for them and a bottle for Audrey. Once in a while, Sarah will open their door for them and let them out before she comes downstairs. This morning was one of those times. I was still in my room all the way downstairs when Sarah came in saying, "Mom! The boys took their diapers off!" Yep. It was one of those mornings. I looked down the hallway to see Alex following behind Sarah, and Lucas behind Alex. Both boys were completely naked. They had smears of poop from head to toe, and Alex was holding a big ball of it. Gross, I know. I promptly bathed them, re-diapered them, then went upstairs to assess the damage. Keep in mind: I hadn't had the best day yesterday. It was crazy, hectic and stressful, and when I woke up this morning, I was looking forward to a new day and hoping that it would be less eventful. Not a great start. While I was pulling dirty sheets off beds, and putting poopy balls in the bathtub for washing, Sarah came in to use the bathroom. She said, "I'll go potty, mom, and you can go in the boys' room and clean up their mess." In response, I said sarcastically, "Oh, yeah. That sounds like so much fun." Of course, it did NOT sound like fun. Actually, I was pretty sick of cleaning up that same mess that keeps happening. But, being 3 1/2, and since I am usually anything but sarcastic, Sarah took my comment at face value. She excitedly said, "Oh, yeah. It DOES sound like fun! I'll go get my vacuum, and you can use your vacuum, and we can clean up the mess!" Of course, she doesn't actually have a little vacuum. But she was so sweet, and so excited to come help me. After realizing that she doesn't have a vacuum, she said, "Wait a minute. I don't have a little vacuum. But I can help you pick up all the toys." And indeed she did. Her excitement and enthusiasm to be helpful and clean the mess completely defused my bitter attitude and made me realize the more important aspects of raising young children... no matter how frustrating it can be at times.

11 comments:

Emily said...

That's so gross! WOW! But i can't wait to see them! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The most BEAUTIFUL helper in the world!!! Especilly for such a GROSS task!!

Ashley said...

I can't believe that. What we have to go through as mother's I swear! Jonathon was having issues with the poop thing for a while, I would come in at he would have it all over his hands and smeared on the crib and sheets. The first time he did it made me sick! But now they are at that age where it feels yuck to them and they want to discover, so it makes sense! I put Jonathon in foot pajamas every night that have zippers because he doesn't know how to zip down and therefore can't get into a poopy diaper... it has solved the problem for us. He hasn't been going at night very much anymore, which is one of the signs they are getting closer to potty training! I am doing ok, thanks for asking!! Just really tired and have had some headaches lately, but no nausea :)

Farrah said...

What is it with babies taking off their dirty diapers and smearing it everywhere? I just went through a very similar experience. It must be the age that they don't want to keep the dirty thing on, so they try whatever they can to get it off. That is so sweet of Sarah though. Thank goodness for helpers!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

How exciting! Not just one, but two little ones to help make the mess. Luckily Sarah was willing to help. That was so sweet of her.

Nanci said...

Oh the joys of motherhood.

Brooke and Brian said...

Holy Gross Batman! Sweet little Sarah!

Rick and Christie Farnsworth said...

Yuck! Hopefully this fascination doesn't last long. So nice to have such a sweet little helper though!

Becky said...

Definitely gross! We also did the footed pajamas trick when we had little ones going through this phase--not a fun phase.

What a sweet helper--that's one of those moments that make you feel like maybe it's all worthwhile....

The Farnsworth Family said...

Sarah is such a doll. I wish I had a little helper on those literally poopie mornings. Glad it is over and hope there are no replays :)

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Stephanie - this was the SIXTH replay. Fun, huh? We finally started taping their diapers on at nap and bedtimes... we'll see.