Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Independence

So... Is it bad to let my daughter be this independent? I asked her if she was going to wear an outfit she had on this morning to preschool. (basically the top in this picture and red, dark pink and light pink striped pants - Last year's Valentine's pants). She said yes. I said, "Okay, but it's really cold outside. You should put a long sleeve shirt under that one." She said okay, and went upstairs. This is how she came out. I have to take her in about an hour, and I'm not making her change. She really wants to wear that outfit. So? What do you think? Too independent? To church yesterday, she wore a very cute sweater and matching kaki skirt. (greens, browns, golds and oranges)... And bright red tights with white snowflakes on them. I let her wear it. Am I ruining her? No one made fun or anything... she's got a good friend (same one) in both places that likes what she wears... I don't know. I think she's cute. But definitely a little eccentric.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Okay this is just adorable! I love the picture that shows her toe sticking out of the sock. Too Cute. I think it's fun that you let her choose her outfit.

Unknown said...

I think it's fine. She isn't harming anyone and making her change is just a battle that would not be fun to deal with.

Nanci said...

I was just having the same conversation today with a group of moms. They all said different things. The bottom line is that they said to choose your own battles. Some said that it is great to give them the opportunity to make choices or to offer them a couple of different clothes and then allow them to choose from a smaller selection. Some said to just let them choose and only put your foot down when it is too cold (like sandals when there is snow on the ground). While another mom said to let them learn on their own that it is too cold outside for a skirt. That is just what I heard the other moms say. Honestly, I have nothing to contribute because Rex and Ella don't really care right now about what I put on them.